Monday, November 03, 2008

When my bro decided he needed to take his wife to Hawaii......

Uncle R and Aunt J planned a trip to Hawaii without kids in October. Uncle R, talked my mom into watching the kids, who then talked me into helping.
I was scared to death for them to leave their kids, as this was the first time that they had been away for this long, and the boys are really attached to their mommy and daddy, and usually end up in mommy and daddy's bed.

I am totally shocked how well the week went, and know that Heavenly Father was there answering prayers. We decided that instead of going to their place to watch the kids, we would just stay at our house.
I thought I would be all smart with sleeping arrangements. We put G-ma in the spare room on the futon, which is downstairs. Then we put R and J's three kids in Miss P's room, and Miss P with us on our floor. We had it all planned out that R and J would sleep downstairs the night before they left, as they had to leave early, and hopefully the kids would stay asleep, so there would be no freaking out that mommy and daddy were leaving them. That back fired, as their two year old woke up in the middle of the night, then their 5 year old went down, which woke up the the one year old. I didn't know this was all going on, so I went in and grabbed Cousin J who was crying, brought him into my room, trying to calm him down. Aunt J came up to get ready, and told me the rest of the kids were downstairs awake. Well that ended sleeping in, and of course then Miss P was awake, so they all went downstairs to hang out. I think Miss P had more of a melt down that I left with Grandpa to take Uncle R and Aunt J, then their kids were.

I changed the sleeping arrangements the first day, and put J (one year old) in our room, easier for naps, so the kids could still play in Miss P's room, plus if he woke up, he wouldn't wake up the rest of the kids.
After about four nights of being woken up in the middle of the night, one night sleeping on the couch because he wanted to play and not sleep and I didn't want to wake up My Man and Miss P. His pack in play very quickly ended up downstairs in the living room. Why I didn't think of that at the beginning.

We had some fun times. We tried to do activities to keep them from getting bored and killing each other. We visited the pumpkin patch, library for story time, McDonalds play land, shopping, we even had the tooth fairy come for a visit for E who lost her first tooth.

Over all it was a really fun week, with lots of memories made. We all survived, grateful for the beautiful weather, and were really excited to see Uncle R and Aunt J
We were all very impressed with My Man, he was very calm all week long with the kids, even when E (5 year old) started choking Miss P over a toy.

Uncle R and Aunt J, look out for when I get knocked up and have my septuplets.

2 comments:

HaYn Mama

So what do ya think about having 4 kids? Chaotic or bearable?

Schmitt Family

Four kids would be bearable if they acted like they did that week. It wasn't all that bad. Now for sure they would have to learn to sleep in way past 6am, as I am so not a morning person, and really enjoy Peyton who will sleep until 7:30-8am.